Friday, June 5, 2015

Spring Harvesting

Harvest is usually associated with the fall, but I've been busy in the garden and around our property. The snow peas are going crazy. I've been able to fix one of our favorite dishes~~Szechwan Chicken Pasta at least twice a week. And the black raspberries need collecting every morning (before the birds get to them). Blackberries are growing in the same area and they won't be long. In addition, I've been collecting several herbs and drying them in the dehydrator: red clover, dandelion, plantain, and cleavers. I know they all sound like weeds, and if you lived in the suburbs you'd probably be spraying your lawn to get rid of them.

But I've been studying about herbs lately.  Did you know plantain is great for disinfecting cuts and scrapes, treating acne,  and is high in vitamin C and calcium?   All parts of the dandelion can be used--the roots may help balance blood sugar, the greens can lower blood pressure.

Have you ever noticed (and how could you not) the long list of possible side effects in the commercials for medicines on TV?  Herbs tend not to have those issues.  If you're interested in learning more I highly recommend the book Be Your Own Doctor by Rachel Weaver. 





  Don't miss a thing! Subscribe to Ozark Ramblings and get my posts in your inbox.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...