Saturday, February 7, 2015

A New Page: Homeschooling & Working Outside the Home

Since we moved to Missouri over seven years ago, I’ve been fortunate enough to be a stay-at-home mom and only need to focus on the house and homeschooling.  For reasons I won’t go into, this year I needed to find a paying job.  That story is worthy of a post on its own, but I will say that God’s timing was perfect:  the day after we determined our income needed boosting I learned that our local library was hiring.  I had two days to polish up my old resume and turn it in before the deadline.  One week later I had an interview, one week after that I had the job—part time with flexible hours so I can still homeschool.  I know that’s nothing short of miraculous in our present economy. 

So with two weeks under my belt, let’s look at the positives and negatives so far….

Positive

  • Our school time is much more focused and organized.  We have to start early so we’re wrapped up when it’s time for me to leave. I do allow my son to take his reading assignments with him to his grandparents.  Schnickelfritz also gets his schoolwork done before lunch or play at their house.
  • I’m at the library three days a week so I can always pick up a book or video to go with our studies and return them before they’re due.
  • My parents are getting to see Fritz’s studies and their impressed!  Too be honest, they’ve always supported our homeschool but it’s nice to hear someone else say they can’t believe how thorough the lessons are and how much he’s learning.

Negative

  • Dinner is not working out so well yet.  Twice now I’ve forgotten to put food in the crock pot before leaving the house.  Once I managed to pressure cook the dish when I got home and get it on the table on time, the other time I hit the drive thru which isn’t in the budget.
  • I’m realizing I’ve turned into a procrastinator.  When I was at home all day I could think I’ll get to it later but I don’t have that same luxury.  My hubby, the Toolman, had to go without salad dressing because I forgot to stop at the store two days in a row.
  • Fritz’s evening activities outside the home, currently three nights a week, seem especially draining now.

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...