Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Universal Casserole Recipe

What’s for supper?  The question comes up—daily.   If it’s Tuesday I know it’s pizza night.  If I’ve just gone shopping for ingredients for the new recipe I want to try, then that’s a no brainer too.  But there’s many days at about 4:00 when I find myself looking at the contents of my fridge and cupboards and wondering myself what’s for supper.  At this time of day it’s too late to start browsing through cookbooks for something where I happen to have all the ingredients and can manage to use up the leftovers in the fridge.

Now I’ve been cooking for a long time so I’ve gotten pretty good at knowing what goes together, but if you don’t know  here’s a generic recipe I got in an old Tightwad Gazette newsletter.  It pretty much sums up what I try to do.

The goodies are optional (these tend to be pricier ingredients).  Learning which seasonings to add is a matter of experience but you should find a list of spices to compliment main proteins in any good cookbook. When you mix everything together you can add up to a 1/2 cup of milk or stock if things seem dry.  Put everything into a greased casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...