Friday, February 1, 2013

Ignoring it won't make it go away

Before I tell you what "it" is, I need to share a story with you....



This is Della the Dog, my walking companion and a Mama's girl for sure.  If she decides to go left at the end of our driveway, we'll end up walking past our neighbor's horse pastures.  My imagination always takes over and I wonder what the horses think of such a little horse on a leash. The horses were a real draw when we first moved to Missouri.  Schnickelfritz and I would take apples and carrots to his new friends: Gus, Apache, Patches, Midnight, Duke and a mule named Minnie Pearl!  One morning the neighbor stopped by to let me know that he'd turned on the electric fencing in an effort to keep the horses from popping boards--he didn't want Fritz to get shocked.   I passed the warning on to my son but not to my dog...curiosity may kill the cat so Della got off easy with a just a zap on the nose, but she's never forgotten. 

Funny thing about that dog-she doesn't accept any responsibility for the incident.  She doesn't even steer clear of the fence line.  No, in that canine mind the blame rests solely on the horses.  When ever they are near the fences she refuses to even look at them.  She'll walk to the other side of the road if I'll let her.  If we stop to pull grass or pet the horses she'll sit with her back to the fence and her nose in the air and I'm sure she's saying "I'm not looking....you're not really there."  Silly dog,  just ignoring the horses won't make them go away.

So now to the "it" of my title.  It will be different for everyone.  Maybe you've been ignoring the piles of clutter in your home or you just let the answering machine handle all the collection calls so you don't have to deal with them.  For me, the "it" is my weight.  You won't find many photos of me because I hate to see that double chin.  I'm wearing ten year old clothes so I don't have to spend uncomfortable time in a store changing room.  I'm not looking at the problem but I'm also not doing anything to make it go away.

Well, today is the day for change.   It's my birthday and now is as good a day as any to start living the rest of my life.  I've joined up with a group of Homeschool Crew friends to challenge/support each other to lose those extra pounds.  I've dusted off the exercise equipment in the basement and reclaimed it from clothes-hanging duty. My son and I have started Move Across Missouri with our 4-H group where we'll take our weekly activity.   I've bought carrots and other veggies to snack on instead of my usual carbs.  And I'm sharing this with you to hold myself accountable. 

Now it's up to you to figure out what you've been ignoring. 

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday and best wishes on your health initiative.

Stefanie said...

Happy Birthday and I'm praying that you reach your goal. It's wise words that you wrote.

Julie said...

Happy Birthday! I wish you much success on reaching your goal.

Unknown said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Great widom!!

Thank you for sharing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...