Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Picante Onion Soup, it's good for what ails ya...

This week's Soup Swap recipe came from a jar of Pace Picante sauce a decade or so ago.  I tried to find an original copy but when I Googled the recipe I found many variations so I'm just adding another one to the collection.

When it comes to soups and colds, most people think of chicken noodle soup so I know I'm in a minority here.  My soup of choice is Picante Onion Soup.  I just appreciate the spice when I'm dealing with a sense of taste that has been dulled by sickness.  A little internet investigation suggest that the soup may have some health benefits too (I'm not a doctor and I've never played one on TV--this is strictly Dr. Mom stuff).   According to Natural Remedies Center: onion is a good home remedy for flu and cough, onions are known to be effective in removing phlegm, and individuals that ate onion soup had better immune responses.  So if you feel a winter cold coming on here's what you need.


2-3 onions
3 Cups tomato juice
1 can beef broth & 1 canful of water
1/4 Cup butter
1 mince clove of garlic
1/2 Cup Picante Sauce (pick your heat level)

Begin by thinly slicing the onions till you have three cups worth.  I just love this V-slicer I picked up at the State Fair years ago.  I usually make one cut throuch the onion so I have half-ring pieces but you can leave the rings whole or chop the onion into pieces.

Melt the butter in a large stock pot (at least 4 quarts) and add onion and garlic.  Cook until soft and golden (about 15 minutes)

When the onions are finished, add tomato juice, picante sauce, beef broth and water.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.

Oops, my sous-chef must have had the day off and forgot to wipe around the rim of the bowl.

There you go.  A hot soup with little effort (another good thing when you're feeling under the weather).  But don't just wait until your sick to try it.  This recipe just screams for adding your own optional ingredients.  The original recipe called for adding croutons and monterey jack cheese.  Here I've used crushed tortilla chips and cheddar.  Other ingredients I've tried:
  • cooked brown rice (an easy way to add whole grain fiber)
  • cooked chopped chicken
  • sausage
  • leftover taco meat
  • french cut green beans
  • hot sauce
  • whatever you need to use up in the fridge
Of course the best ingredient to add is love and really that's why we cook, isn't it?  Be sure to check out what the other ladies are bringing to the Soup Swap this week.


3 comments:

Milk and Honey Mommy said...

Missouri Mama,

I'm right there in the group w/you. Whenever I feel a cold coming on I head for onion soup as opposed to chicken noodle because I don't eat the chicken. Wow, you have another winner this week. I was going to make my regular old onion soup, but I am going to have to try this recipe instead. I like hot Picante sauce so that is what I'll be using.

Keep the recipes coming. I can't wait to see what you have to share for next week.

Beth B. said...

I'm in the minority in our home so I use medium picante sauce and add a little hot sauce to my bowl. It sure tasted good yesterday after cleaning my driveway in 18 degree weather!

Assistant said...

Sounds yummy! I didn't know that onion soup helps with colds. Now I have a reason to cook some more often. Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...