Sunday, August 1, 2010

Two teeth missing

Fritz has been fiddling with a loose tooth since VBS.  Today it finally came out after church.  And a bonus tooth came out at dinner time.  We were eating pizza when Fritz excused himself from the table and ran to the bathroom.  He got visual confirmation that his big front tooth had fallen out, but where was it?  Toolman and I tried to console him with stories of our own teeth swallowed and lost.   Our sentimental boy was in tears--not that the tooth fairy wouldn't visit because we don't play that game.  One of his baby teeth would be all alone in the septic tank, never to join his brothers in the tupperware container in the bathroom. 

He had lost his appetite to finish the pizza.  He was so upset I was considering doing something I hadn't done since he was a year old and swallowed a penny.  Inspecting a diaper was one thing and I didn't know if I had it in me to carry the thought further.  I carried his plate to the kitchen and was preparing to drop the pizza in the garbage when I heard a "plink" on the plate.  A small tooth had fallen free from the cheese where it had been stuck.  Suddenly, all was right with the world again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...