Thursday, July 2, 2009

Happy Day of Deliverance

Most people will do their celebrating on Saturday, but as a firm believer that we should start listening to our Founding Fathers again I offer this quote by John Adams:


The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by suceeding generations as the great anniversay Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever.


 


I have two recollections of visiting Independence Hall as a five year old.  First, was when the tour guide invited me to stand beside her inside the velvet ropes and touch the Liberty Bell.  I was so embarassed to be the focus of attention that I refused, but when the tour started to move on I snuck up and touched it privately.


Second memory was in the Assembly Room and people were shouting out states (I now know they were really colonies) and the guide would point out where that delegation sat.  My father asked about the Massachussetts' delegation and I knew it was his home state so I politely raised my hand and asked where Missouri sat since that's where I was born.  I was sad and a little bit angry to think my state hadn't been invited to the party.   I was only five so I couldn't even blame my error on my public education. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...